In an previous post, I discussed my educational philosophy and alluded to the existence of a relationship between curriculum and educational philosophies. Jenkins (2009) created an instrument to measure modified curriculum orientation. After answering a series of questions using a Likert-scale format, this tool helps educators to identify his or her curriculum orientation. Interestingly, my results revealed an orientation toward Humanistic curriculum.
Those who prescribe to this particular curriculum orientation believe that "the purpose of education is to provide students with opportunities to foster their personal development as unique individuals." Sound familiar? This orientation is closely aligned to my educational philosophy of Progressivism. So, now that I have this information (which I believe to be pretty spot on), what do I do with it? How can these orientations be used to guide my role as an instructional leader?
Relationships.
This is the first word that comes to mind when I think of my professional practice as it relates to my educational philosophy and curriculum orientation. The primary responsibility of an educational leader is building and preserving relationships. Relationships with students. Relationships with teachers and staff. Relationships with families. Relationships will all stakeholders. Think of it as the foundation of a great learning community.
A large part of my career has been spent building, maintaining, and preserving the relationships of the stakeholders with whom I interact on a daily basis. It is what I enjoy most about what I do! So, I'm not surprised by the results of these inventories. I strongly believe in developing the whole child. There is a place for assessment, rigor, data, and the like, but in the end, education is about helping people to grow emotionally, socially, culturally, and cognitively. It's about the complete person, and this should never be forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment